Diarrhea is a digestive problem that causes loose or watery stools that occur more frequently than usual, and that may be accompanied by abdominal cramp, bloating, vomiting, and a headache. If the diarrhea continues, it can lead to dehydration due to loss of large amounts of fluids and salts from the body. Learn in this blog home remedy to get rid of diarrhea naturally
Causes of Diarrhea
Usually, diarrhea happens because of a virus or bacteria that get into your gut. Some people call it intestinal flu or stomach flu.
Other causes include:
- Infection by bacteria
- Infections by other organisms and pre-formed toxins
- Eating foods that upset the digestive system
- Allergies and intolerances to certain foods
- Radiation therapy.
- Overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism)
- Surgery on your digestive system
- Diseases of the intestines (such as ulcerative colitis)
- Trouble absorbing certain nutrients, also called malabsorption
Diarrhea may also follow constipation, especially for people who have irritable bowel syndrome.
Symptoms of Diarrhea
Common symptoms may include:
- Frequent, loose or watery stools
- Abdominal cramp
- Bloating in your belly
- Loss of appetite
- Smelling stools
- An urgent feeling that you need to have a bowel movement
More serious symptoms include:
If you have watery stools more than three times a day and you’re not drinking enough fluids, you could become dehydrated. That can be a serious problem if it’s not treated.
Home Remedies for Diarrhea
Below are a few home remedies to get rid of diarrhea naturally:
Yogurt containing live cultures likes Lactobacillus acidophilus and bifid bacterium. These help to restore healthy levels of the helpful bacteria in your intestine.
How to Use: Eat 2 to 3 cups of yogurt a day when suffering from Diarrhea.
Oral Rehydration Solution (ORS)
Add one teaspoon of sugar, one teaspoon of lemon juice, and a pinch of salt in a glass of water and sip this solution throughout the day to prevent dehydration.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar possesses antibacterial properties that can help manage diarrhea caused by bacteria.
How to Use: Add one teaspoon of apple cider vinegar and little honey to a glass of lukewarm water and stir the mixture. Drink it twice or thrice a day until your condition improves.
Eat ripe bananas which help to build up the body’s healthy bacteria, which will prevent further infection.
How to Use: Eat a ripe banana every few hours, if it a loose motion. Steam or boil a banana, mash it and add a little lemon juice and a pinch of salt before eating.
A diet known as BRAT may also quickly relieve diarrhea. BRAT stands for bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast. This diet is effective due to the bland nature of these foods, and the fact that they’re starchy, low-fiber foods. These foods have a binding effect in the digestive tract to make stools bulkier.
Pomegranate is a great home remedies to get rid of diarrhea naturally. You can drink pomegranate for quick results or can eat the fruit. Not just the fruit, pomegranate leaves are effective in treating loose motion.
How to Use: Drink 1 or 2 glasses of fresh pomegranate juice a day.
- Boil a mixture of 1 tsp of minced ginger root and 1.5 cups of water. Cover and let it steep for 5 minutes. Filter it and add little honey to taste and drink this tea twice or thrice a day.
- Mix 1 tsp each of dried ginger powder, cinnamon powder, cumin powder and honey and have it twice or thrice a day.
- Note: Those suffering from high blood pressure should avoid ginger in high amounts.
Turmeric possesses anti-inflammatory and antibacterial curcumin, which can aid in diarrhea treatment. It has been used as an anecdotal remedy for diarrhea for long.
How to Use: Add half tsp of turmeric powder to a glass of warm water. Mix it well and Drink this twice or thrice a day. Add 1 tsp of turmeric powder to 1 tsp of applesauce or yogurt. Take this twice or thrice a day.
Fennel and ginger
For acute diarrhea, mix 1/2 teaspoon fennel powder with 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder, and chew this mixture 2 or 3 times a day.
Do’s for Diarrhea
- Stay hydrated. Drink at least 8 glasses a day of clear liquid such as water, thin soups.
- Drink black tea as it natural anti-diarrheal.
- Take few tablespoon of carob powder in water. This has shown to reduce the duration of diarrhea.
- Take probiotics product such as yogurt to help with digestion and fight infection.
- Wash your hands thoroughly to prevent the spread of infection.
Don’ts for Diarrhea
- Avoid tea, coffee, and cola, dairy products, alcohol, and fatty and spicy foods during diarrhea and for few days after it has cleared up.
- Avoid raw, fibrous, greasy, and cold foods. Also avoid the foods that are difficult to digest such as beans, soy.
- Avoid magnesium and vitamin C during active episodes of diarrhea.
When to See a Doctor
You should see a doctor if:
- A fever that is high
- Diarrhea lasting longer than 2-3 days
- Severe pain in your belly or rear end
- Blood in your diarrhea or black, tarry stools
The information provided in this article is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.
If you found this home remedies to get rid of diarrhea naturally informative, take a moment to share it with your friends and family.
Stay healthy stay strong and get the best out of life.
Thanks for reading!