In a fever, body temperature is raised persistently above the normal range of 98-100°F (36-37°C). It is a common sign of an infection, not a disease.
Fever is the body’s reaction to infection such as bacterial, viral, flu, a throat, chest, or bladder and other illnesses such as heatstroke, sunburn, or reactions to drugs. The immune system will launch an attack to try to remove the cause. A high body temperature is a normal part of this reaction.
A fever will usually resolve on its own. If a fever persists, a person may become dehydrated. You usually can treat the fever at home if you are in good health and do not have any medical problems or significant symptoms with the fever.
The body’s temperature rises above 100.4°F (38°C) for a sustained period. Most fevers need no treatment, but some home remedies can ease the symptoms.
Some other signs and symptoms of a fever can include:
- A headache
- Sore eyes
- Weak muscles
- General fatigue
- Loss of appetite
High fevers above 103°F
Home Remedies for Fever
For chronic fever, drink basil (Tulsi) tea.
- Boil together 20 basil leaves and one teaspoon of crushed ginger in one cup water.
- Boil until the solution gets reduced to half.
- Add ¼ teaspoon black pepper and 1 teaspoon honey.
- Drink this tea twice or thrice a day for three days.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is also said to work as an effective remedy for fever. Mix 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar and 1 tablespoon of honey in a glass of water and drink the concoction at least two to three times a day for best results.
- Add 1.5 teaspoon of turmeric and one-fourth teaspoon of black pepper powder in one cup of hot milk.
- Mix this well and drink this mixture twice a day to get rid of fever symptoms.
Cilantro (coriander leaves)
- Take 2 teaspoon of cilantro juice 3 times a day to help lower the fever.
- Put a handful of cilantro leaves in a blender with about 1/3 cup water, and blend thoroughly.
- Strain out the pulp and take the juice.
Ginger and Raisins
- Crush 10 grams of raisins and ginger.
- Boil them in 200 ml of water till it reduces to 50 ml.
- Strain and drink this solution warm.
- Boil powder of 2 to 3 teaspoon dry roasted fenugreek seeds.
- Strain the water and add a drop of ghee to it and drink.
- Finely chop one garlic clove and add it to one cup of hot water.
- Boil for 10 minutes, strain the solution and sip it slowly.
- Drink this twice a day and you will feel much better the next day.
- Add one teaspoon of crushed mint leaves to one cup of hot water.
- Boil it for 10 minutes, filter the solution and add some honey.
- Drink this tea three or four times every day for a quick recovery.
- A warm shower or bath that lasts for 5-10 minutes can help stimulate sweat that keeps your body cool.
- Note: The water should not be too hot.
- Take some cool tap water in a bowl.
- Soak a clean washcloth in the water.
- Wring out the excessive water, and then place the wet cloth on the forehead.
- Once the cloth warms, remove it and repeat again.
- Do this until the fever has gone.
- Rub some warm olive oil on the bottoms of your feet.
- Apply gentle pressure on the soles with your thumbs.
- Finally, give a nice massage to the whole foot.
- Do this for just a couple of minutes and repeat as needed.
Do’s for Fever
- Prefer liquid food over solid food.
- Drink lots of water or diluted fruit juice to help prevent dehydration.
- Stay cool, but avoid getting cold. Wear light and loose clothes.
Don’ts for Fever
- Avoid smoking and drinking.
- Do not eating refrigerated foods.
- Avoid processed foods, dairy, and junk foods, which suppress your immune system.
- Don’t go to work. You need rest to recover, and activity can raise your body temperature
- Try to avoid eating when having high temperature. The exertion involved in digesting food can cause the body temperature to rise even further.
When to See a Doctor
- Temperature is above 102˚F.
- Fever accompanied by a severe headache and a stiff neck.
- Have difficulty in breathing.
- Are drowsy or confused.
- Temperature keeps rising despite attempts to bring it down.
Fever has not subsided within 2 days or developed other symptoms.
If you found this article informative, take a moment to share it with your friends and family.
Stay healthy stay strong and get the best out of life.
Thanks for reading!