Indigestion or dyspepsia is a general term that refers to discomfort in the upper part of your abdomen. Usually everyone experience indigestion, from time to time after eating heavy meals. The symptoms such as stomach pain, bloating, nausea, or a feeling of fullness — often begin shortly after you eat.
Indigestion is not a disease, it is a symptom of other digestive issues like ulcer, gastritis, or GERD. Indigestion is caused when the stomach acid flows back into the esophagus, resulting in inflammation and causes irritation some of the underlying causes of indigestion include overeating, stomach infections, ulcers, acidity, smoking, alcohol, thyroid, and irritable bowel syndrome, intake of deep-fried and spicy foods, poor sleep patterns and stress.
Symptoms of Indigestion
Common symptoms of indigestion may include:
- Heartburn or acid reflux
- Nausea and vomiting
- Flatulence or belching
- Bad-smelling or sour breath
- Uncomfortable fullness after a meal
- Pain or discomfort in the upper abdomen
Below are some of the amazing home remedies for indigestion:
Ginger is an effective remedy for indigestion as it helps in lessening the excess stomach acid secretion. Sip on a cup of warm ginger tea to soothe indigestion. In addition, you can also take ginger candy, drink ginger ale or simply drink ginger water flavored with honey or lemon to treat indigestion.
Lemon Juice & Baking Soda
Squeeze the lime juice from 1/4 lime in 1 cup warm water. Add 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda just before drinking, and drink it down quickly. This remedy will relieve acute indigestion.
Ajwain is an amazing herb to treat several gastrointestinal woes including indigestion, acidity and flatulence. Drinking warm ajwain water regularly is beneficial in treating indigestion and also eases stomach pain.
Drink herbal tea made with peppermint, chamomile or fennel which is effective for indigestion.
Onion & Honey
Take 1/4 cup of fresh onion juice with 1/2 teaspoon honey and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper.
Honey and cinnamon
Sprinkle cinnamon powder on one tablespoons of honey and take before food which relieves acidity and digests the heaviest of meals.
Drink 1 cup of sweet fresh pineapple juice with a pinch of ginger, a pinch of black pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon organic sugar thrice a day.
Apple Cider Vinegar
A sour solution: try drinking a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar mixed with a half-cup of water. It will help you digest the food if you don’t have enough acid in your stomach.
Do’s for Indigestion
- Eat only two or at most three meals a day: breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
Avoid snacking between meals.
- Eat slowly, chewing food thoroughly. Take small sips of warm water during
- Fill your stomach to one-third of its capacity with food and one-third with
liquid, leaving one-third empty.
- Exercise regularly.
- If overweight, try to lose weight gradually.
- If stress contributes to indigestion, try to reduce it.
- Practice relaxation techniques such as deep breathing, or yoga that can
helpful for improving digestion.
Don’ts for Indigestion
- Avoid fried, fatty, and spicy foods; carbonated beverages, caffeine and
- Avoid cold and iced drinks, especially during or after meals.
- Don’t exercise for at least an hour after eating.
- Stop smoking; it may aggravate symptoms.
- Avoid taking aspirin or ibuprofen for pain, as they can irritate the stomach.
When to See a Doctor
Make an appointment to see a doctor if you:
- Experience symptoms that last more than two weeks
- Have difficulty swallowing
- Try home remedies for indigestion but they don’t help
See a doctor immediately if:
- Shortness of breath
- Excessive sweating
- Chest pain
- Develop severe pain
- Black, Tarry Stools
- Vomit, especially if there’s blood
- Weight loss or loss of appetite
The information provided in this article is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.
If you found this article informative, take a moment to share it with your friends and family.
Stay healthy stay strong and get the best out of life.
Thanks for reading!