What is Shankhpushpi (Convolvulus pluricaulis)?
Shankhpushpi, its botanical name Convolvulus pluricaulis; also known as Sankhaphuli, Shankhini, Samkhapushpi, Sadaphuli, and Shankhpushpi. It is a perennial plant native to India. Well known as morning glory, speed wheel or Aloe weed in English. This herb has specific arrowhead shaped leaves and beautiful bell shaped flowers which are in vibrant blue and white colors. The name Shankhpushpi was given to the plant owing to its shankh or conch shaped flowers.
Shankhpushpi is a plant used in Ayurvedic medicine for enhancing memory and cognitive function. It helps to rejuvenate the mind and use of this herb is also in other problems like vomiting and toxicity. It has also been used in treatment of disorders such as anxiety, hypertension, neurosis, stress, insomnia, epilepsy, edema, urinary disorders and constipation. Moreover use of this herb is quite good in the treatment neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer and dementia etc.
Shankhpushpi is bitter, astringent, heavy to digest, glossy, sticky, sweet, unctuous, coolant in nature but has a hot potency. It can balance the tridoshas in the body.
The holistic science of ayurveda popularizes Shankhpushpi in various rasayanas or formulations and scriptures. The host of properties including Medhya (memory booster), Vamana (Vomiting), Deepana (enhances stomach fire), Pachana (helps in digestion), Rochana (stimulates appetite), Kusthahara (treats skin disease), Shothahara (reduces inflammation), Hridaya (treats heart problems), Jantujit (relieves from worm infestation) makes this magical herb a potent solution of umpteen health problems.
The magical plant part is packed with medicinal properties. Chemical studies of the magical plant have shown the presence of carbohydrates, proteins, alkaloids, fatty acids, steroids, coumarins, flavonoids, and glycosides as active chemicals. Moreover, it has two types of stomata, anisocytic and parasitic. These phytochemical compounds exhibit the various therapeutic properties for the treatment of various ailments.
- Mental fatigue
- Memory loss
- Headache (due to stress, mental workload or study)
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Mental hypersensitivity
- Highly sensitive person (HSP)
- Unmanageable emotional excesses
- Emotional stress
- Mild convulsions
- Stress disorders
- Depression (with aggressive symptoms or violence)
- Anorexia nervosa
- Loss of appetite
- Abdominal discomfort (generally associated with mental illness)
- Hematemesis (blood in vomit)
- Recurrent miscarriages
Benefits & Medicinal Uses
Shankhpushpi is one of the few herbs which are used to reduce stress levels, anxiety, memory loss, tensions and to keep the brain calm and relaxed.
- In Ayurveda, This herb is considered as an amazing brain tonic which helps to enhance the learning, memory, intelligence and retain better.
- The herb when taken every day in small quantities boosts memory power, therefore, used treating in Alzheimer’s disease, dementia.
- It balances the neurotoxins and acts an anti-depressant drug which reduces the effect of toxins on the brain.
- It rejuvenates the brain and acts as a psycho-stimulant and tranquilizer.
- The herb is useful in insomnia, which promotes good sleep.
- This herb is good to manage the problem of vertigo. This herb helps to calm the nervous system. It also provides relief in the symptoms associated with vertigo like headache, anxiety, stress and brain complications.
- Its anti-ageing properties rejuvenate the skin, reduce skin disorders and improve the life longevity.
- Very useful in epilepsy treatments and psychiatric disorders.
- It improves digestion, strength and relieves constipation.
- Very useful in treating sexual disorders in men due to its aphrodisiac properties.
- Useful in relieving fluid retention, migraine and high blood pressure.
- Shankhpushpi is extremely effective in treating various heart ailments due to its strong ant oxidative nature. It strengthens the heart muscles and prevents lipid build up in the blood vessels.
- This is known to be a good herb in the treatment of respiratory complication like common cold, cough, asthma and bronchitis. It helps to clear the air channels and also enhance immunity to fight against the various viral or bacterial infections.
- This herb is very beneficial in the treatment of urogenital disorders. It helps to provide relief in the symptoms like painful urination, swelling of urethra, burning sensation etc.
- This herb is good to prevents premature graying, controls hair fall and promotes hair growth due to its rejuvenating property.
The precise therapeutic dosage may vary from person to person depending upon the age, severity, and condition of the patient. One must consult an ayurvedic doctor or practitioner, as he or she will thoroughly examine the indications and prescribe the effective dosage for the specific time period.
Tablet or Capsule (Gutika) – 1 or 2 tablets for adults twice a day.
Powder (Churna) – ¼ to ½ teaspoon for adults twice a day.
Juice (Kashayam) – 2 to 4 teaspoons for adults once or twice a day.
Syrup (Arishtam) – 20 ml for adults twice a day with water after meals.
Caution & Side Effects
There are no side effects observed with the use of Shankhpushpi. But one should always consult a doctor before starting to use Shankhpushpi formulations in case it has any harmful interactions with the medicines the individual is already taking.
Since Shankhpushpi has a mild hypotensive effect, people suffering from low blood pressure should consult a doctor before taking this. Although it has been suggested for pregnancy, the individual must consult her doctor before using and in no way should self-medicate herself.
Shankhpushpi is a traditional herbal remedy blessed with umpteen health benefits. It holds high significance in improving the memory capacity, enhancing concentration, learning capabilities, and treating mental fatigue, insomnia, anxiety, depression, etc.
The extensive health benefits of the various herbs used in this formulation also increase its therapeutic efficacy in treating infertility issues. If taken in the proper dosage, one can steer clear of the side effects and enjoy the countless health benefits.
If you found this article informative, take a moment to share it with your friends and family.
Stay healthy stay strong and get the best out of life.
Thanks for reading!