A urinary tract infection (UTI) is a common condition and affect millions of people every year that often needs medical treatment, but home remedies can also help. A UTI is an infection that affects any part of the urinary tract, including the kidneys, ureters, bladder or urethra. Most infections affect the bladder and the urethra, which combine to form the lower part of the tract.
The bacteria Escherichia coli and Staphylococcus saprophyticus from the bowel are the most common cause of UTI, but fungi and viruses can also cause infection.
UTI is much more common in women, because of the short length of the female urethra. UTI are rare in men under 60, but the incidence increases as both men and women get older.
Symptoms of UTI
Common symptoms of UTI include:
- A burning sensation when passing urine
- Frequent urge to urinate
- Cloudy or dark urine
- Urine with a strong odor
- A feeling of incomplete bladder emptying
- Pelvic pain, with fever and chills
Home Remedies for UTI
Here are 12 most effective home remedies for urinary tract infection.
Unsweetened Cranberry Juice
Drinking cranberry juice (unsweetened) is very beneficial in treating UTIs. Cranberry found antioxidant, called proanthocyanins which prevent the growth of bacteria that cause UTI infection.
Don’t drink cranberry juice if:
- You’re taking blood-thinning medication, such as warfarin, aspirin, it can interact and cause bleeding.
- Too much consuming cranberry juice can also cause kidney stones, this is due to their high oxalate content.
One of the most effective home remedies is to drink lots of water for treating infections of the urinary tract. Depending on how much one can accommodate, to heal the infection, drinking two to four liters of water helps. As the body produces more urine, the bacteria get flushed out.
Fresh bottle gourd juice mixed with fresh lime juice is the best remedy for the urinary infections. Drink a fresh glass of bottle gourd juice mixed with a teaspoon of lime juice. It serves as an alkaline mixture for treating burning sensation in urinary passage due to high acidity of urine.
Have coconut water to fight urinary tract infections. The idea here is that coconut water is a natural diuretic, so it will help your body flush out bacteria by urinating more frequently.
Drinking parsley tea is an excellent home remedy to aid in the treatment of a urinary tract infection because of its natural diuretic properties. Take 20 gm of fresh chopped parsley leaves, and 2.5 liters of water. Put both ingredients in a pan and boil for 10 minutes. Let it cool down. Strain and set aside. Drink this tea at least every three hours.
Cucumbers are effective against UTI because of their high water content. Although it’s better to eat them in combination with other remedies for UTI, they can help you feel hydrated and healthy. Drink one cup of cucumber juice, mixed with one teaspoon of honey and a tablespoon of fresh lime juice, three times a day. It acts as a diuretic.
Redish juice might be beneficial for managing urinary diseases such as urinary tract infection, as it has diuretic property. It increases the production of urine and reduces the burning sensation in the urinary tract. Drink one cup of Radish juice in the morning for 15 days.
Boil 25 grams of raisins in 250ml of water until water reduces to half the original volume. Have the mixture twice a day. This is one of the most effective home remedies for UTI.
Take half cup fresh spinach juice mixed with half cup coconut water twice a day.
Take half glass of carrot juice mixed with an equal quantity of water, if there is no fever.
It has anti-bacterial and diuretic properties.
- Take a few drops of sandalwood oil in a cup of water.
- Mix it with one teaspoon of raw sugar. Or
- Mix two gm of ginger juice.
- Have it to get quick relief from the symptoms of UTI.
- Please ensure the purity of sandalwood oil before consuming it.
According to the Ayurvedic texts and years of proven efficacy, castor oil is an excellent remedy for vaginal and urinary tract infections.
- Apply castor oil to lower abdomen and cover with soft flannel.
- And apply heat (such as hot water bottle) for 20-30 minutes.
- Castor oil acts as anti-inflammatory and can be used to treat UTIs with associated bladder cramping or pelvic discomfort.
Do’s for UTI
- Probiotics: There is strong scientific evidence that support the use of probiotics for urological conditions. Take probiotics such as yogurt to prevent overgrowth of harmful bacteria and may help prevent UTI.
- Eat natural diuretics: such as grapes, berries, watermelon, celery, onion, garlic and parsley, or make juices out of these foods.
- Avoid Sugar: while battling an infection, as it can feed bacteria.
- Apply Heat: apply heating pads or hot water bottle across your abdominal region or back can help soothe pain. Do this for 15-20 minutes.
- Wipe Correctly: One of the best things to do to prevent UTIs at home is to stay as clean and dry as possible. Wiping from front to back after urinating or a bowel movement will help keep bacteria from entering the urethra and traveling up the urinary tract.
- Frequent urination: It helps eliminate the infection by moving bacteria out of the bladder.
Don’ts for UTI
- Avoid wearing too tight clothing and underwear. Also avoid underwear made from synthetic materials such as nylon. Always choose cotton underwear.
- Avoid coffee, alcohol, and soft drinks which can irritate bladder and tend to aggravate frequent or urgent need to urinate.
- Avoid potentially irritating feminine products such as douches and powders, in the genital area which can irritate the urethra.
- Don’t use irritating soaps, and take shower rather than baths.
When to See a Doctor
Many urinary tract infection produce mild symptoms and resolve within a week with home remedies.
A person should see a doctor if:
- Symptoms are severe
- Symptoms persist for more than a week without improving
- The infection keeps recurring
- The person has a weakened immune system or other factors that cause an infection to worsen
If you found this article informative, take a moment to share it with your friends and family.
Stay healthy stay strong and get the best out of life.
Thanks for reading!